ACA encourages continued development of animal welfare standards and Codes of Practice for animal husbandry, breeding, training, sale and sporting exhibitions for a wide range of animal species. Our goal is to promote and encourage high standards in all interactions with the animals in our care. To encourage responsible pet ownership, and the respectful treatment of all animals in our community ACA continues to promote welfare education over regulation.
Right across Australia there are hundreds of community-based animal groups. These groups are the real animal welfare experts.
We encourage new animal keepers to join or at least familiarise yourself with your nearest community-based animal group. They have been animal welfare educators for many decades. Animal welfare is central to the day-to-day existence of the groups, their members and it is what we continue to endorse and encourage.
Our expertise is specialised and professional and all of us who keep animals must continue to strive for greater welfare outcomes. We must never become complacent. We must never provide a reason for the animal rights movement to legitimately condemn us.
- To represent Animal Care Groups as the peak animal welfare body
- To engage and advise Government and legislators on welfare issues relating to pets and companion animals.
- To protect the rights of ethical hobbyists & animal keepers to breed and keep pets and companion animals.
- To clarify the difference between animal rights and animal welfare
- To promote higher animal welfare outcomes
- President: Michael Donnelly – elected until 2024 AGM
- Vice President: Sam Davis – elected until 2023 AGM
- Secretary: Michelle Grayson – elected until 2025 AGM
- Treasurer/Public Officer: Sue Kowalczyk
- Birds: Sam Davis – elected until 2023 AGM
- Cats: Michelle Grayson – elected until 2025 AGM
- Dogs: Kylie Gilbert – elected until 2025 AGM
- Exhibited Animals: Tracey Dierikx – in position until 2023 AGM
- Fish: vacant position
- Horses & Livestock: Karri Nadazdy – elected until 2024 AGM
- Native Mammals: Michael Donnelly – elected until 2024 AGM
- Reptiles: Joanne Payne – elected until 2025 AGM
- Small Mammals: Rachel Sydenham – elected until 2023 AGM